Nap disproved the myth that ‘vegans can’t build muscle’ with his impressive 12-week transformation.
Being naturally lean, he had always struggled to put on muscle mass on his plant-based diet.
Nap was active and played sport, but his goal was to build strength and add size to his naturally-lean frame.
Ultimate Performance Sydney helped him achieve the muscular body he had always wanted with a bespoke training program.
He halved his body fat and added 4kg of lean body mass during his transformation.
Nap says the transformation has boosted his sports performance, making him leaner, faster, stronger and more explosive in his training outside the gym.
But he is most satisfied with the new lean and muscular physique he has built.
“The results of my transformation were great. I was able to gain muscle mass and definition, which was always hard for me as someone who is naturally skinny and lean.
“I started at about 17% body fat and went down to 9.6% by the end of the 12 weeks.
“What I lost in fat was pretty much gained back in muscle mass.”
What led him to starting his transformation at U.P. Sydney was frustration with not getting the results he wanted.
“My motivation in joining was that I wanted to gain muscle mass and become stronger.
“Both physically and mentally, I believe I was doing pretty well as I was going to the gym and playing sports already.
“But despite that, I was still struggling putting on mass.”
Nap wasn’t in bad shape before he came to U.P. He was active and exercised regularly, and he was conscious about his diet.
“My diet and lifestyle before I started was also fairly good.
“I was following a whole food plant-based diet, which lends itself to eating ‘healthily’, and I was also physically active.”
But there was a big piece of the jigsaw missing. U.P. helped complete for Nap which and ultimately made a big difference to his muscle-building goal.
Nap says becoming more precise with his diet and understanding the macronutrient requirements his body needed to add muscle was key.
“Even though I was eating healthily, I didn’t track my macros to help me achieve my goal.
“What I realised during the program was that I need to focus on my nutrition and hit my macronutrient goals in order to achieve the results I wanted.”
Nap started tracking his food intake with an app called Cronometer to ensure he was hitting his macronutrient targets to support his muscle growth goal.
Learning the skill of food tracking at U.P. Sydney really took his body and his performance to the next level.
“The app is similar to MyFitnessPal, but besides macronutrients, it also puts a focus on vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients.
“So not only was I tracking my macros, I was making sure I hit my RDA for other things like fibre, Omega 3, all vitamins, calcium, magnesium, folate, iron, etc.
“I basically wanted to make sure my diet was set up for me to recover faster and train harder.”
Nap saw big progression in the gym with the results-driven program created by his personal trainer, Stew.
“The effect of the program inside the gym was that I started seeing myself get stronger weekly and have more energy throughout the workout.
“Outside of the gym, I saw improvement on my sports performance; I saw my muscle endurance improve.
“I saw direct translation of the work I was doing in the gym to my sports training.
“For example, because of the training with the prowler, I was lasting longer on sprint and burst types of movement on my sports training.
“I also saw my jump movement improve, where it felt a lot easier getting off the ground.”
Nap was thrilled with his 12-week result – but perhaps what was more impactful was the lifelong learning he has taken from the transformation process.
He has developed the knowledge to keep him improving his physique and his performance in his own training.
“The transformation has changed me in a way that I am now more educated on how to achieve my goals.
“It will also benefit me in the sports I play. I also feel like this is not the end of my transformation and that I can achieve even more while before I was struggling to get the results I wanted.”
Feeling inspired by Nap’s journey? Simply fill in the enquiry form to get started.
- We show you the best, we don't show you the worst.
- We show you people who follow the plans, not those who are all talk.
- We show you those who inspire even us with their commitment to their results.
- You cannot get results exactly like these. You are unique and that means you can only get your own best possible results.
- Your results are a function of time spent following the plan; your genetic response to the right exercise and diet program; how hard you train; how consistently you come to the gym; how disciplined you are with your diet; & your starting point.
- Oftentimes the lower your starting point (poor fitness, terrible body composition) the better your results.
- We cannot do the work for you and the results you see here are a testament to the work ethic of our clients.
- Our reputation is that we are the best trainers in the world for helping you to unlock your potential, & we can lead you to the door, give you the key, even turn the handle and push the door open, but we cannot walk through it for you. In the end the result is down to you.